Interjurisdictional Support Orders

Seeking child support or spousal support from someone who lives outside the province can be a daunting process. Canadian provinces and territories have created legislation specifically to govern interjurisdictional support. In Nova Scotia, the Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act sets out the process for obtaining child support or spousal support in another jurisdiction. It allows you to start a proceeding in Nova Scotia, and for the other party to respond to the proceeding in the reciprocating jurisdiction. An order is enforceable in both jurisdictions.

When you hire a family law lawyer, it is important that the lawyer understands the complexities of Nova Scotia’s Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act. It is important that your lawyer knows when it can be used and when it cannot. For example, the Act does not apply to support orders made under the Divorce Act, nor does it apply to custody orders.

As family law lawyers experienced in interjurisdictional support orders, we can help simplify and navigate the process. Our lawyers have successfully represented clients who obtain support from individuals outside of Nova Scotia and outside of Canada, including in the United States and other countries. Please contact us at our Halifax office to find out how we can help you.



Related Life Events