Bernie Thibault – March 2018
DIY Separation Agreements
Think you can handle preparing a separation agreement on your own? Do you want to take the risk, or do you even know the risks? A separation and the legal issues arising can be very complex. You might think your situation is simple, but the fact is most are not. People’s lives are infinitely varied and therefore, your needs and interests will be equally so. Initially, you might save money by preparing your own agreement with the help of an online template but be warned – you might end up with big problems later, which could cost a lot of money to fix.
At MDW Law, we want to give you the peace of mind of knowing that you have comprehensively resolved all the issues arising from your separation. When we prepare your separation agreement, we offer the following benefits which DIY agreements do not:
- We ensure you have the information you need to make an informed decision. Before you sign on the dotted line, we make sure you have access to all relevant financial information from your ex-spouse. If your spouse is not willing to provide us with information, we can take steps to compel him/her to provide us with what is needed;
- We draft and tailor your agreements to your specific situation; our job is to listen to your needs. Everyone’s life is different and therefore, no two separation agreements are the same;
- We anticipate problems that have not yet occurred. A big part of providing you with the peace of mind of knowing that you have reached a fair settlement is to anticipate problems before they happen and fix them now;
- As skilled drafters of agreements, we ensure that your agreement is clear and easy to understand. No one likes wasting time arguing about what a word or paragraph means when carrying out your respective obligations under the agreement;
- As skilled family law practitioners, we continually update ourselves on the current state of local and national law. We prepare agreements that follow the law so that you know that there are tangible remedies available when the other party does not follow through with their end of the bargain; and
- We prepare agreements that are enforceable and not likely to be overturned by a court. As skilled family law practitioners, we ensure that your agreement is fair, and the process of reaching an agreement is fair as well.
If you have recently separated and wish save to money in the long run, then you should speak with our qualified family law lawyers here at MDW Law.